South Africans love good oxtail – especially on those wintry nights when the weather cools down. Serve with Ernst Gouws & Co Merlot. Delicious to pair with a medium to full-bodied red wine, it’s all about minimal effort and maximum taste.
- 2,5 kg oxtail
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 t mustard
- 30 ml olive oil
- 4 chopped onions
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 1 pack oxtail soup (or 1 cup homemade stock and leave out water below)
- 2 t grated orange skin
- Black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- fresh parsley
- Combine flour, salt and mustard with oxtail in a plastic bag and shake together.
- Remove coated meat from bag and put onto bed of celery, carrots, onions into a heavy casserole pot with lid.
- Mix all other ingredients and pour over meat.
- Slow cook with lid on for 4 – 5 hours at 140 degrees C.
- Remove from pot and scrape fat off pan juices.
- Add a splash of water, milk or cream to make gravy from the juices left in the pot after cooking. Spice more if needed.
- Pour gravy over the meat and return to oven to bake for another 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Serve with parsley, mash potatoes and any vegetables of your own choice – and our Ernst Gouws & Co Merlot.