Taste’s like Safari on a plate. Pairs wonderfully with Ernst Gouws & Co Pinotage.
Serves 6 as light meal
For the marinade:
- 600 g venison steak
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Worcester sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sesame oil
- 2,5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground all spice
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
Place the steak with all the ingredients for the marinade into a sealable plastic bag, then marinate overnight. Remove from bag when ready to cook, and pat dry with kitchen paper. Braai/grill over hot coals to sear the outside (only 2 minutes a side), then transfer to a cutting board. Cut into thin strips.
For pan frying:
- 45 ml olive oil
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped – 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 10 sage leaves, finely chopped – juice of 1-2 limes
- salt & pepper
In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then gently fry the chilli, ginger and sage for 30 seconds. Add the steak strip and toss to coat. Fry for only 1 minute, then season with salt pepper and drizzle with a squirt of lime juice. Serve at once, straightfrom the pan or from a wooden board.