LAMB SHANKS WITH SHIRAZ AND CHERRY JUS - by the Butcher Shop & Grill, Cape Town
4 lamb matured shanks "The Butcher Shop & Grill"
· 4 large carrots, roughly chopped
· 2 onion, sliced
· 6 garlic cloves, crushed
· 8 bay leaves
· 5 sticks of celery
· 3 sprig rosemary
· 750 ml red wine "Ernst Gouws & Co Shiraz"
· 500 ml “Nomu” lamb stock
· 230g “Amarena Fabbri” cherries in heavy syrup
· cornflour for thickening the lamb jus
· “Tokara” olive oil for browning
· Salt, pepper and mustard seeds
· “Nomu” lamb rub
1. Preheat oven to 160C degrees.
2. Season the lamb shanks with salt, pepper, mustard seeds and lamb rub.
3. In a large frying pan, brown the shanks on all sides in olive oil; remove from pan and put aside in a large casserole dish to keep warm.
4. In the same frying pan add carrots, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves and rosemary and braise slowly.
5. Pour in the red wine and lamb stock and stir gently, bringing it to a low simmer.
6. Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks.
7. Cover casserole and place in oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until tender.
8. Remove the lamb shanks and skim off the fat off the top of the red wine juice.
9. Scoop out all vegetables, storks and bay leaves. Add cherries in heavy syrup. Bring to simmer and reduce.
10. Mix together the cornflour with a bit of cold water and whisk the mixture into the red wine jus, until desired consistency.
11. Serve up on individual plates and enjoy.
12. Try cauliflower mash with coconut cream and Parmesan cheese, instead of potato mash. Deli-cious!