- 300 g flour seasoned with salt, black pepper, cumin and paprika.
- 4 onions, finely chopped.
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped.
- Zest and juice of 3 oranges.
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 30 ml whole coriander seeds
- 15 ml chilli flakes
- 15 ml dried oregano
- 15 ml dried paprka
- 1 l hot water
- 1 kg baby potatoes
Preheat the oven 180C.
Dip the shanks into the seasoned flour and shake well to get rid of the excess flour.
Over high heat, fry the shanks in a pan in oil until golden brown all over. In a large stovetop-to-oven casserole, fry the onions, garlic and tomatoes in oil over medium heat until cooked. Add the orange zest and juice, tomato paste, corander seeds, chilli flakes, oregano, paprika and 1 litre hot water. Place the shanks into this liquid and add the baby potatoe. Bake in the oven, covered with aluminium foil, for about 3 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking time to give a nice colour to the shanks and potatoes. Serve with fragrant rice.6 shanks of about 400 g each